Friday, December 3, 2010

Christmas Family

Over a year ago, my Sister and I went to the Creative Festival in Toronto for fun. A friend of mine told me about it so I decided to check it out. Since we didn't do any research before jumping on the train, we both had the idea that it was going to be like a craft show and they would be selling Christmas cards since it was close to the holidays. Well, we discovered quickly after arriving that it was all about supplies! There where some super nice cards but it wasn't the card that was for sale, it was the stamp! We had a good laugh about this and came to the conclusion that we should make handmade cards together when we retire for fun and sell them at craft shows so that people like us would be able to buy them. We had a great day together in Toronto and the 'seed' was planted.

Months later I had mentioned the idea to my Sister-in-law. She is a resourceful one because immediately she suggested I sell them on etsy.com. I checked out the website and there are millions of handmade items as well as supplies, what a great idea! I later learned that there are other sites like this; that enable you to post and sell your items on their website. So with this in mind I began learning about cards and techniques... wow is the scrapbooking and card industry big when you go looking for it.

I then began purchasing supplies and making cards which are posted on my blog. My husband is helping me setup my website so that I could sell them online. I haven't set a date yet but I am thinking early next year, maybe February... I'll keep you posted : ) I'm very excited!!!

Today's card I designed for my Sister. As soon as she found out I was starting a homemade card business, she put in a custom order of 20 Christmas cards and this is what I came up with. When I showed it to her, she asked for an additional 10, lol. I was so happy she liked my design. I am currently in the process of finishing up her order.  This is probably the most detailed card I've made so far. It has a secret compartment for a bookmark gift! The top ribbon pulls out; I don't have a photo (oops, forgot to take one) but you get the idea. I think the greatest part about this card is that my Niece is sitting in the middle holding a shiny candy cane : ) 


 
Card Materials & Tools: .... next week?

Thanks for reading! Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment